Thursday, February 28, 2008

My mom sent me this...

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

From what I remember growing up, my mom has valued education and persistence more than other goods and traits. Consequently, I have valued them too. Of course, sometimes you are on the wrong track, and persistence starts to look like "staying the course" no matter how wrong your direction. I can think of times when realizing I was going the wrong way and turning back was not only the right thing to do, but I was thankful that I realized I should stop and reassess my direction early enough to fix the problem.

I have always been a fan of Aristotle's golden mean.

No comments: